This article covers:
- Updating Jupiter X theme automatically
- Updating Jupiter X theme via WordPress dashboard
- Updating Bundled Plugins
- Updating Jupiter X theme via FTP
- Updating the child theme of Jupiter X
- Updating Third-Party Plugins
Note: Make sure to install Jupiter X Core plugin at first after theme activation in Appearance > Jupiter X > Plugins and register your theme before proceeding.
Updating Jupiter X theme automatically
1. From the WordPress left menu, go to Jupiter X > Updates.
2. Next to the latest theme version, click on the Update button.
3. You will see a message like this:
By agreeing with the above term, you will lose the code customizations you’ve made directly on your parent theme files. It doesn’t mean you will lose any data or customization settings on the theme on the pages, it’s all about codes. Since the theme package contains codes and updating the package will override the old codes, it’s logical to lose the code modifications you have made on the theme files. In order to prevent code modification loss, it’s recommended to use Child themes.
4. Be patient until the update process is done. In some web hosts, it may take several minutes.
Note: If for any reason you do not see the notification, from the WordPress left menu go to Dashboard > Updates and click on Check Again button and check back.
If you have any issues updating the theme automatically, you can use the FTP method, that is described in this article.
In case you faced the error “Api key and domain is not matching” it means that your API key is not matching your domain name in Artbees Portal. If you revoke your API Key once and re-register the theme with the new API key, you won’t face this error anymore. Here you can find how to revoke your API key.
Note: After updating the theme, it is highly recommended to update the bundled plugins. To learn how, check out this article.
We provide Jupiter 6 to Jupiter X migration service under Content Management service in WPDone.
In case the automatic update didn’t work for any reason, it might have below possible reasons:
- Server cache settings which cause the old package return from the server temp folder. In this case, it’s better not to waste time and update manually.
- The server has a proxy that denies access to Artbees Servers. Ensure Artbees IP is whitelisted in your server. Here is the IP address 220.127.116.11
- Trying to update on a multi-site network while you are just a node and don’t have the administrator’s permission.
- The file/folder permission issue.
- Firewall which blocks access to Artbees Servers. Ensure Artbees IP is whitelisted in your server. Here is the IP address 18.104.22.168
- Plugin conflict. Try deactivating all the plugins and then try updating.
- Missing Remote Get function or cURL package for PHP. In this case, contact your service provider.
- One of the server requirements are not provided correctly in Jupiter X -> Control Panel -> System Status.
NOTE: If you are using an old version of Jupiter X where you had to use Jupiter X Pro (versions below 1.7) you will notice an error after the update. After Jupiter X 1.7 the Jupiter X Pro plugin is no longer needed, so you would need to remove it from your plugins page, otherwise, it may cause some conflicts.
Downgrading Jupiter X
Downgrading Jupiter X theme is also the same as upgrading. You can see the downgrade button in the update panel in Jupiter X -> Control Panel -> Updates.
By clicking on Downgrade Theme, you will downgrade the theme to the desired version. Please note that if you are downgrading the theme to a very old version, you would need to downgrade the bundled plugins as well. While the previous package for the bundled plugins is not provided, it may be risky to downgrade the theme alone. So, you may do it only in case it was needed.
Updating Jupiter X theme via WordPress dashboard
You can manually delete and install Jupiter X through the WordPress dashboard. Your settings and content will be safe since it is all stored in the theme’s database.
Deleting the outdated theme version
1. From WordPress left menu, go to Appearance > Themes.
2. Activate one of the WordPress default themes temporarily.
3. Click on Jupiter Theme Details button.
4. In the bottom right corner, click on the Delete button.
Installing the updated theme version
1. Download the theme again from ThemeForest.
2. Extract the downloaded .zip file into a folder.
3. From WordPress left menu, go to Appearance > Themes.
4. Click on Add New Theme button.
5. Click on Upload Theme button.
6. Click on Browse and select jupiterx.zip, then click the Install Now button.
7. Wait for the installation to complete.
8. If the theme is installed successfully, click on the Activate button.
Updating Bundled Plugins
Note: Before updating the plugins, you need to update your theme. After updating the theme, updates for your plugins will be available.
Bundled plugins are included in the Jupiter X theme as well as their updates. These plugins must be updated through the Appearance -> Install Plugins section.
Note: Make sure to install Jupiter X Core plugin at first after theme activation in Appearance > Jupiter X > Plugins.
1. From the WordPress left menu, go to Appearance.
2. From the control panel, click on Install Plugins.
3. If an update is available, you will see the Update button below the plugin. Click on it.
5. After a few seconds, you should be presented with the message of successful update. Click on the Back button and see the plugin is updated.
Note: Also two plugins: Raven and Jupiter X Core, can be updated via WordPress Updates page like you do for any 3rd-party plugin.
Updating Jupiter X theme via FTP
If the automatic update doesn’t work for you for some reason, you can always update the theme via FTP. To do this, follow the steps below:
1. Download the theme from ThemeForest.
2. Extract the downloaded .zip file into a folder.
3. Use an FTP client (like FileZilla) to access your host web server.
Note: If you don’t know your FTP credentials, contact your hosting provider support so they can provide them.
4. In the file browser, navigate to /wp-content/themes directory.
5. Drag and drop the extracted theme main folder into the directory.
6. The FTP program will give a warning that there is an existing directory with the same name, choose Replace All.
7. Once done, check the theme version in WordPress admin dashboard.
Note: After updating the theme, it is highly recommended to update the bundled plugins.
Updating the child theme of Jupiter X
If there is a child theme installed and activated on your website, there is no need to update it like the parent theme.
By checking Release Notes you can see if the update has changed something related to your customization in the child theme. In that case, only an update to your custom code in the child theme is required.
Updating Third-Party Plugins
1. From the WordPress left menu, go to Plugins > Installed Plugins.
2. If an update for the plugin is available, you will be presented with the update notification below that plugin. Read the plugin update changelog.
3. Click on the Update Now button. Be patient while WordPress updates the plugin.