Upgrading Jupiter Theme to Version X
It’s a little bit harsh when you decide to migrate from your old theme to a new theme. WordPress themes are not usually like each other. They are not the same in theme options, layout, widget areas and provided shortcodes. Since the codebase of Jupiter is totally different than Jupiter X, we decided to keep both packages available to download and keep the Jupiter theme supported on bug fix and security enhancements for 18 months after the Jupiter X releases. We will provide premium support for the legacy version for a period of 1 year from the time of the Jupiter X release. After 18 months, we will still be providing important security fixes and third-party plugin compatibility updates for 6 more months. It means that you can still keep using Jupiter, however, it is recommended to rebuild your website using Jupiter X.
In this article you will learn how to migrate to Jupiter Version X, all about upgrading, taking into account all of the changes that need closer inspection. We anticipate the migration process to be smooth and it will be just like another theme update.
In this article
Things to consider before migration
We highly recommend taking a backup before switching to a new theme. It’s just to keep the process safe and in case anything happened, you be able to restore back easily. There are dozens of articles out there which show you tools and steps to create a backup, you just need to search for it.
The next important thing is to do everything on a staging website, not on a live one. Not only because you have to put your live website on maintenance mode, but because in case by any chance you lost your data, you won’t lose your real website.
After that, you need to make sure your web host meets the server requirements for having Jupiter X. The next steps are showing below in this article.
Jupiter Version X Server Requirements
Before upgrading to Version X make sure your server complies with the WordPress environment requirements. We have been using some OOP techniques and standards that are not present in the PHP legacy versions (e.g. v5.2.X, v5.3.X). The minimum required version is PHP v5.6+. More information can found in the article Checking Server Requirements.
Recommended Hosting Solutions
The following hosting services offer maximum compatibility with Jupiter X and provide exclusive discounts to Artbees Themes users:
Switching to Jupiter X Theme
After creating the staging environment, you need to install Jupiter X theme. Here is the complete guide on how to install it. After that, simply activate the Jupiter X theme from Appearance > Themes.
Configuring the theme options
After enabling the Jupiter X, you will notice that the page layout and design are corrupted. Don’t worry, there is a simple workaround to fix it. You would need to open the old website Theme Options to see what are your old configuration. Then for those parts that need to be reconfigured, open the customizer from Appearance > Customize and start reconfiguring the theme options. Here are some tips that can help you speed up this process:
- Everything is visual and live in the Jupiter X customizer. You will get what you see, so you can move fast reconfiguring everything.
- You can choose the default header from Customizer > Header which is the same as Header Style 1 in Jupiter. The rest of the Header Styles should be created as Custom Headers in Elementor > My Templates > Header. You can also import from many premade Elementor Header Templates when you want to create a new Header. Here is more info.
- The same applies to the Footer. You can design a completely customized footer, or simply choose between the footer layouts. Here is more info.
- You may want to have a look at out Customizer article category here to get more familiar with how to deal with its options.
Creating the pages
As mentioned before, we are still keeping the WPBakery Page Builder and our developed shortcodes with Jupiter X, however, it is highly recommended to use Elementor as your page builder because:
- It is built based on Frontend editor UX in mind.
- It requires much less learning curve.
- It is freaking fast both editor and rendering the site.
- Your WordPress site speed won’t be affected by Elementor’s presence (can’t say the same for WPBakery page Builder)
- It does not use Shortcode API to store the content and render it, excess usage of Shortcode cause slower sites.
- It has customizable built-in elements
- Its element controls have better UX and arrangements
- It has much better extendibility codebase
- Header, Footer, single page builders and many more unlimited functionalities are included.
Assuming that you already checked the Elementor tutorials from here or you are familiar with it, we will review some points that will speed up your page creation using Elementor.
- If you wish to create a full-width page, you MUST choose the Elementor Full Width template from the Page Attributes. Otherwise, removing the sidebars and make every section Full width, will add some space on top and bottom of your content.
- We developed Raven plugin to extend the functionality of Elementor by adding elements that were available in Jupiter and were not by default in Elementor. For more information please check here.
It would be easier for you if you know what element you must use in order to have the most similar look to Jupiter.
Here is a list:
Portfolio Shortcode -> Post element and choose the post type to Portfolio
Page Section -> Section
Inner Row -> Inner Section
Blog Shortcode -> Post Element and choose the post type to Blog
Product Loop -> Products (Raven)
Flip Box -> Animated Box
Padding Shortcode -> Spacer Element
Clients Shortcode -> Brands element
Contact Form Shortcode -> Form element
The rest of the Raven elements are having the same name as Jupiter shortcodes. Also, some other elements are available in Jet Elements which are needless to say. For example, Advanced Google Maps is now Advanced Map and etc. You can find more info about Jet Elements here.
- You can use Block templates in Elementor. It means that you can save a section and use it in multiple places. This will help you rapidly build up your website. Here you can find more info about it.
In case you want to keep using WPBakery Page builder, just make sure you activate it from Jupiter X Control Panel > Plugins and also activate the WPBakery Page Builder Shortcodes developed by Artbees from the same place.
Post Types (Employees, Clients, Portfolio)
Portfolio post type is the only post type that is adding to your website by activating Jupiter X. Unlike Jupiter theme which we had a bunch of custom post types, we only have one here. It is the same portfolio post type in Jupiter, but have different meta fields. So, it is recommended to update or recreate the portfolio posts as well. About the rest of the post types such as Employees, Clients and etc, we no longer have them because using Elementor, you won’t need to have a post type to create a list of Employees, or clients. You just simply add them with the proper elements provided in Elementor. In case you needed to add them again, we recommend you to look at our community forums and check other provided solutions there. There are a couple of workarounds which can help you get back your custom post types, however, it is not recommended to use them anymore.
You should know that in case you need any help, our support team is here to help you migrate your websites. So feel free to contact our support desk in case you faced any issue. We also offer a migration service at a reasonable price here in Artbees Care so in case you need someone to migrate your website for you, feel free to request a quote there.