#77295 bfi_thumb folder is huge

Landing Forums Jupiter WordPress Theme bfi_thumb folder is huge

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Hello, I’m getting notices from WPEngine that the total size of my site has ballooned from 12GB to nearly 42GB in that last 12 months and they want to charge me a lot more money for hosting. I’ve been on Jupiter with WPEngine for nearly five years and have not uploaded 30GB of content in the last 12 months so something weird is going on.

In working with WPEngine they determined my /bfi_thumb/ folder in particular is huge and now has 36.9GB of uploads in there. In looking at that folder via FTP it appears that multiple images are being created for each image i upload. Here is one example that shows what the issue is.

I uploaded an image that was 128kb. Looking at this image in the /bfi_thumb/ folder there are now 41 versions of that image that are taking up 29,782,726 bytes (29MB) for this one image. I have an older version of the site from one year ago and I looked up the same folder and this image and there were only 4 versions of this one image with a size of 1,824,830 bytes. Something has happened in the last year to cause these images to skyrocket.

Perhaps there was a new version of the site and the settings changed to create multiple image sizes for each image uploaded?

How do we fix the existing site and make sure this is fixed going forward? Thank you for your help on this very important issue.

Private
    Dan Scofield
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Private
    Dan Scofield
    Dan Scofield

Whoops looks like the upload didn’t work properly. let’s they this again.

Private
    Dan Scofield
    Private
    Dan Scofield
    Dan Scofield

Hello, Apparently my support expired a few days ago. I just renewed.

I did some additional testing with changing the media settings for Thumb/Med/Large and set them each to blank. That reduced the number of images in the monthly folder by a about three. No significant change in file sizes here.

Next test I changed the BLOG SINGLE POST “Image Cropping” setting to “Unchecked”. Still have the same number of images in the monthly folder when I upload a new image but that seems to eliminate anything being written to the /bfi_thumbs/ folder. Is that what controls this?

Assuming un-checking the “Image Cropping” is the fix what does that mean for the front end of the site? When/where are the images from the /bfi_thumbs/ folder displayed? Will it break any posts, related posts, most popular, posts, recent posts, etc.?

After 5 years this folder is more than 38G. About 30G of this is just from the last year. Here is the total of what I can see via the FTP site.

/wp-content/uploads/bfi_thumbs
    Selected 101,453 files. Total Size: 38,212,032,547 bytes

Can I delete everything in the /bfi_thumbs/ folder via FTP without ruining the front end of the site?

Private
    Dan Scofield
    Danish Iqbal Support Team

Hello Dan,

I understand your concern and it is a valid one. Having 40GB media on the site is not normal.

As you already understood, this is happening because of the image cropping options. The theme or the plugins have added their own image size in the settings which is making several copies of the image that you upload.

The solution is to:

• Remove the bfi_thumb folder which will remove all the cropped media.
    • Use the crop options as less as possible.
    • Remove the plugins that you do not actually use because they come with their own image size options.
    • In the theme options also there are some Image size options that you can remove if are not using them.

Before doing anything, please take a full backup of your site and database just to avoid any issues later.

Regards.

Dan Scofield

Hi Danish, So Jupiter 6 is not using images from that folder on the front end anywhere?

Cheers, Dan

Dan Scofield

Hi Danish, I worked with WPEngine and we deleted everything in that folder. Looking at it again later in the day there are new files being added. It seems as pages are being served it’s creating these images on the fly. I viewed a blog post on the site and I can now see those images in there with a few numbers added to the end of the file name.

Here are two examples. The numbers after “cover” are being created on the fly. Screen shot attached.

harris-poll-covid-19-survey-most-employees-satisfied-with-return-to-work-plans-infographic-cover-ot5hz6w5x9m7egc58qzm6n0vg40skis9kdk0lp22f2.jpg

harris-poll-covid-19-survey-most-employees-satisfied-with-return-to-work-plans-infographic-cover-ot5hz6wcb2fpaoifofex7sqkboy9o9el4lii6kpmrg.jpg

What do you suggest? Cheers, Dan

Hello Dan,

Yes, the bfi_thumb images are being created and served on the fly.

The solution is to disable all the image cropping options which will stop the theme from creating any cropped version of the image that you upload.

Regards.

Dan Scofield

Hi Danish, I disabled image cropping via “Blog Single Post / Image Cropping / Unchecked” on 8/22. When I did that I uploaded a “new” image and that stopped images from being created at that time.

What’s happening now is images are being created and added to this folder when users load blogs.

I’ve attached two screenshots. The first one shows where I turned the setting off and the second one is from today where you can see the folder that I completely deleted all images from today, 08/25 now has 2326 files taking up  530,152,959 bytes of storage space.

How do we stop this? Cheers, Dan

Private
    Dan Scofield
    Private
    Dan Scofield

Hello Dan,

Are you checking this on the dev site or the staging site?

Could you please allow me to modify settings on the site you are checking this on?

Regards.

Dan Scofield

This is happening on the live/production site running Jupiter 6.

Hello Dan,

Okay, can you share the details of the live/production site and allow me to modify its settings to debug the issue?

Regards.

Dan Scofield

Hi Danish, Yes, pls take a look at the live site running Jupiter 6. I just checked the FTP site and it now s 4584 files with file size of 1,088,757,450 bytes. Screen shot attached with the details.

Cheers, Dan

Private
    Dan Scofield

Hello Dan,

I checked the theme options of your site and I see quite a few options that are set to resize and crop.

Other than that, I see some plugins which may have some resize options too.

Could you please allow me to work on any of your sites where I can disable the plugins, disable any options, delete anything and do anything to debug this issue?

Regards.

Dan Scofield

Hi Danish, I copied the live site over to STAGING so I don’t have a site running Jupiter 6 that you can test with. Looking at the file formats that are being created they are all similar. I did a view source and searched for that file format and for files with the name bpi_thumbs in the name. It appears it is part of the “Recommended Posts”. I’m displaying three to four on most pages so each time a page is loaded multiple images appear to be created.

In my testing on STAGING I am not see the same issue running Jupiter X so changing platforms may resolve the issue.

I deleted all the files from the /bpi_thumb/ folder and it reduced the overall website file size from nearly 42G to less than 7g.

Just wanted to provide you with an update.

Cheers, Dan

Private
    Dan Scofield
    Dan Scofield

One correction it is still happening on the JUPITER X platform. The total file size is not getting as big as fast because the site is not public but the problem is still happening from the “Recommended Posts” widget. I assume as soon as I push it to live/production the file size will continue to grow.

Hello Dan,

Jupiter X does not use bfi_thumb which means there is no way it can add cropped images to the bfi_thumb folder.

Though yes, it may add some new images to the uploads folder based on the crop options you have selected or the crop options that come by default with some of the available widgets.

Regards.

Dan Scofield

Ok, my bad it was late when i sent this. The /bfi_thumbs/ do only appear on the “Jupiter 6” site. Here is a sample url.

https://www.SITENAMEHERE.com/wp-content/uploads/bfi_thumb/dummy-transparent-oub1u1lfflmf44zo1t7so9bj9ofq8f6j79zexshox2.png

I’m not seeing them on the “Jupiter X” site. If that’s the case and I’m moving to X then I don’t need to worry about this issue.

Hello Dan,

Yes, the bfi_thumb is definitely not a part of Jupiter X. It’s available in Jupiter 6 only.

Though, every WordPress site crop photos when the crop options are enabled. This is because cropping is a default function of WordPress.

But surely Jupiter X does not have bfi_thumb and the size of the site won’t increase too much.

Regards.

Dan Scofield

Ok. Hopefully I’ll be moving staging running X over to production over the weekend. With that in mind we can close this issue. Thanks for your help troubleshooting.

Amir Rather Support Team

Sure, you most welcome 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login